- The orientation on GWP Toolbox for IWRM was held last 15 December 2015 at Mandarin Plaza Hotel in Cebu City. This activity was organized by the Philippine Water Partnership (PWP) together with the Water Resources Center – University of San Carlos and Cebu Uniting for Sustainable Water. Attached as “Annex A” is the Program of Activities.
- A total of twenty six (26) participants attended the orientation representing the academe, non-government organizations (NGOs); government agencies; local government units (LGUs) and the private sector. The list of participants is attached as “Annex B”.
- The orientation started with a brief welcome remarks from Ms. Yolanda B. Gomez, a PWP Individual Member who highlighted the objective/s of the activity: to introduce the GWP ToolBox for IWRM; to encourage participants to use the Toolbox; and to contribute to the ToolBox by way of sharing studies, policies and other IWRM-related initiatives.
- The first presentor was Engr. Fe B. Walag, Executive Director of the Water Resources Center – University ofSan Carlos. Her presentation centered on the early beginning of IWRM in Philippine context and the initiatives towards its popularization both as a process and as a program. The presentation on IWRM in the Philippine context is attached as“Annex C”.
- Ma. Cecilia G. Soriano, former GWP-SEA ToolBox Hub Coordinator and Member, Board of Trustees of theMetropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) made the presentation to introduce the Toolbox to the participants. Her presentation focused on the purpose, goal and components of the ToolBox; the various tools that can be accessed and used; and the case studies in the ToolBox. She explained the mechanics related to the uploading of case studies including current developments pertinent the improvements on the ToolBox. The powerpoint presentation on GWP ToolBox Concept of IWRM is attached as “Annex D”.
- There were two (2) presentations regarding the case studies as part of sharing experiences. The firstpresenter was Ms. Adelina Santos- Borja of Laguna Lake Development Authority (LLDA) who presented the LLDA-related study which has been made part of the GWP ToolBox cases. Furthermore, she also explained on the various programs of LLDA within the context of IWRM, in particular the Integrated Lake Resources Development. She encouraged the participants, especially the students to contribute to the ToolBox. Attached as “Annex E” is her powerpoint presentation on LLDA ToolBox Case Study.
The other presenter was Arch. Socorro B. Atega, Executive Director of Cebu Uniting for Sustainable Water (CUSW). The presentation of Arch. Atega focused on the efforts of CUSW to address the local water–related issues within the context of IWRM. She also shared the efforts of CUSW to engage other partners in their efforts to put water issues at the core of the economic development of the province of Cebu. The powerpoint presentation on CUSW Projects as Case Studies is attached as“Annex F”.
- The presentations were followed by a discussion among the participants and the Resource Persons. Discussions were on the case studies that could be made part of the ToolBox, format and contents of the case studies, as well as questions and discussions on IWRM itself. Other important aspects taken up included: budgetary requirements for the inventory of potential case studies; mainstreaming into the local planning process, especially in the case of LGUs; the role of the business sectors in IWRM practice; the need for an Environment and Natural Resources Office in LGUs to help address issues related to water resources.
- After a lengthy discussion and exchange of ideas among the participants, the following were agreed upon as initial agreements:
- Participants agreed to submit potential case studies to PWP for possible inclusion in the GWP ToolBox. It also agreed that an abstract will be submitted first to PWP for initial review. These abstracts will be submitted within the 1st Quarter of 2016, preferably before the end of January 2016.
- It was also agreed that a Case Study Writeshop will be organized by PWP together with its partners sometime in March 2016 to coincide with the World Water Day. During the said Writeshop, the submitted the case studies will be presented and peer reviewed. At the conclusion of the Writeshop, all peer-reviewed case studies will be submitted to GWP for uploading in the ToolBox.
The meeting was concluded with the a brief closing remark from the PWP representative.